jewish tallit, prayer shawls, menorah,shofar, mezuzah
Tlomackie Street Synagogue Tzedakah Box
Tlomackie Street Synagogue Tzedakah Box
Manufacturer: Judaica Gifts
SKU: RMTZ09
Price $80.00
Qty
TLOMACKIE STREET SYNAGOGUE WARSAW POLAND
In 1878 the Tlomackie Street Synagogue was consecrated. The General governor of Poland attended the ceremony in official approval of the modern and wealthy congregants. The sponsors wished to avoid imitating church architecture, as well Eastern architecture. They decided on a classicized building. The central facade had a porch of Corinthian columns crowned by a triangular pediment. The dome was intended to manifest the buildings importance. The overall effect was Greco-Roman mixed with medieval elements. During World War Two the synagogue played a dramatic role. The final liquidation of the Warsaw ghetto began on 19 April 1943, on the eve of Passover. 850 men of the German armed forces arrived to superintend the deportation of the 30,000 Jews left in the Ghetto. But, the deportation did not come as a surprise. The Jews were prepared, and were determined to resist. The Germans were forced to retreat under fire. And the Jewish population of over 30,000, other than the fighters, was nowhere to be seen. The freight cars remained empty. In the first three days, street battles took place in the ghetto. Jergen Stroop , the SS officer in charge, set fire to the buildings to flush out the fighters. The Jewish fighters sought refuge in bunkers they had prepared. On 8 May 1943 , the command bunker of the ZOB was attacked by the Germans, and the leader of the Jewish revolt was killed. On May 16, 1943 the Ghetto was Judenrain. To celebrate the occasion, Stroop ordered the destruction of the Great Warsaw Synagogue on Tlomackie Street, at 8 p.m. They blew up the synagogue, and demolished all other Warsaw synagogues except for the Nozyk, which they turned into a stable.
  • Size: 6"x6"x5"
  • Material: Durable Resin
  • Artist: Judaica Gifts