jewish tallit, prayer shawls, menorah,shofar, mezuzah
Kahal Kadosh Beth Elohim Tzedakah Box
Kahal Kadosh Beth Elohim Tzedakah Box
Manufacturer: Judaica Gifts
SKU: RMTZ02
Price $80.00
Qty
Congregation Kahal Kadosh Beth Elohim (also known as Kahal Kadosh Beth Elohim Synagogue, Congregation K. K. Beth Elohim, or more simply K. K. Beth Elohim) is a historic 1840 synagogue located at 90 Hasell (pronounced as if it were spelled Hazel) Street in Charleston, South Carolina. It was designed by Cyrus L. Warner.

The synagogue was founded in the 1740s and is one of the oldest synagogues in the United States.

In the 1830s, Beth Elohim adopted a reformed ritual, after reabsorbing a splinter group originally led by Isaac Harby. In 1824 he founded the Reformed Society of the Israelites, authoring the first Reform prayer-book in America. The congregation is sometimes considered to be the originator of Reform Judaism in the United States, though it was mainly established by immigrants from Germany later on. Most of the founding members of the congregation were Sephardi Jews of Spanish and Portuguese descent, but some were German Jews.

The present Greek Revival building is the second oldest synagogue building in continuous use in the United States. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places on April 4, 1978, as Kahal Kadosh Beth Elohim Synagogue[1] and was designated a National Historic Landmark on June 19, 1980. The Coming Street Cemetery, owned by the Congregation, is listed separately on the National Register of Historic Places.

  • Size: 6"x6"x5"
  • Material: Durable Resin
  • Artist: Judaica Gifts